Monday, March 25, 2013

Thoughts from John 15:7

heat“If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.”

As I read this verse I am challenged in my previous misinterpretation of this scripture. I confess my misunderstanding may lie in the first part of the verse which is a conditional statement. “If you abide in Me” and IF His “words abide in you” are crucial to this result of “it being done”. Our ‘abiding’ and personal relationship with Christ is key and His ‘Word’ must be something living and breathing in our daily lives. When we know who Christ is and what His words are (the Bible) and if our belief is active in them both, I believe what we ‘desire’ will be what Christ desires. I believe our words will be His Word.

Claiming a knowledgeable yet inactive faith and expecting God to give you a new Mercedes, wealth or fame is unfortunately a message being exported from our Western culture. This verse does not make God a magical genie waiting to grant our every wish. We must ask ourselves, “Who are we abiding in and if His Word is abiding in my life?” I believe if this first condition is met, what we ask for and the ‘desires’ of our hearts will align with that of Christ’s.

Do I desire what Christ desires? Does His words resonate and nudge me to ask for the things that would please His own heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment