Saturday, March 16, 2013

James 1:17

images Every now and again I would like to share some thoughts and writings from my journal. It is in these times I find comfort, peace and truth. I hope they will be an encouragement to you.

“Every good gift and perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.”  -James 1:17 (NKJV)

Lord, You are a perfect God of goodness and love. You desire to give us ‘good’ and ‘perfect’ gifts. The question that lingers in my mind is, “Who defines ‘good’ and ‘perfect’?” Some people may say that wealth is a good gift from God, and they in fact may be correct; however, if the love for the wealth corrupts the heart of the man or his love for money trumps his devotion to the Father of lights, then I believe this good gift has been transformed to a curse due to the everlasting corruption that resides in the hearts of men.

God is the one who defines ‘good’ and ‘perfect’ and that does not always mean these gifts will be immediately gratifying or even something we believe may be good for us. Often I think back to how my parents disciplined me. At that time, I did not see what they were ‘giving’ as good or perfect, yet it has resulted in who I am today and instilled within me principles that have benefited my life.

I think about Job and how God allowed Satan to give trials and take everything from him with the exception of his life. Job lamented during this process, yet in the end the result was the glorification of God and the  proof of Job’s unwavering faith was in a good and just God. Lord, despite my opinions of what ‘good’ and ‘perfect’ is, help me to know that what comes from your hand will ALWAYS result in a good and perfect thing. Help me to look to what you define ‘good’ and ‘perfect’ is, despite my own simple mortal mind’s opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment